LA CHAPELLE marks the upper side of the entrance to the ex-canton of LA CHAMBRE, 10 Km from the chief town – chef lieu. Its 355 inhabitants are spread over five hamlets that are pleasantly set out on the sunny cone-shaped hill. This rural village which was home to 799 habitants in the 19th century, and only 219 in 1982 has managed to stop its decline and has become a much sought-after residential village for its tranquility and authenticity.
Apartments to let – see accommodation page
The Church, built around 1700 is dedicated to Saint Philibert. Visits are not possible but its high side wall and square tower are very impressive. The church houses a remarkable baroque altarpiece.
Between Chef Lieu and the hamlet of Gondran you will come across the oratory , l’oratoire de saint Antoine de Padoue, rebuilt in 1863 to replace an older building gave rise to a number of legends.
In the hamlet Les Moulins, the Chapel Chapelle Saint-Bernard was built during the 19th century to replace a monument built by the more pious inhabitants which escaped a landslide during the 15th century. A painting was preserved from the old chapel that depicts Saint Bernard de Menthon.
Walking trails, and in particular in direction of the Lauzière mountain range.
Farm Ferme LAYMOND in « Gondran » – Making of Tomme de Savoie cheese and Gruyère.
Gardening in organic farming “Kokocinelle” at Coppet.