The chief town of the canton, with its 1 170 inhabitants offers a wide range of activities and is located at the crossroads of the famous mountain passes, the Madeleine and Glandon, as is near to the winter and summer resorts for skiing and other sports.
Over the years La Chambre has been developed respecting a certain harmony between commerce, industry, agriculture and has made its priority the quality of life, the town is abundant with flowers and was crowned with a Première Fleur in 2008 for its use of flowers in the « Villes et Villages fleuris » national competition.
In the town centre there is one hotel « L’Eterlou » and apartments to let, all of whom are on hand to welcome you all year round.
There is a parking zone for travellers in camper vans near to the Champ de Foire. Tokens can be bought from the Auberge du Boulodrome, the Coopérative Laitière, the tobacconist Tabac La Lauzière, or the Restaurant l’Alternative.
The Church dedicated to l’Assomption de la Vierge was built as a collegiate church in 1514 dedicated to Saint Marcel. It has an incredible Roman portal and, according to Raymond Oursel « this sculpure is a unique 12th century treasure in Savoie and already gothic in soul».
Tours of the Church on Thursdays during July and August ; religious service at 18h30 on Saturdays. Its most recent restoration took place in 1995. The west face was restored in 2013.
In the town centre the house la maison de la Tour contains a tower that dates from the 13th -14th century and the main part of the dwelling dates from the 17th – 18th century.
L’ancien couvent des Cordeliers- former convent, founded in 1345 is a large building half in ruins where you can still see the pointed windows.
Literature : By Philippe DE MARIO : Les Seigneurs de LA CHAMBRE et LA CHAMBRE « Un village en Maurienne »on sale at the Tourist Office
Not to be missed :
The dairy cooperative where the famous Beaufort cheese is made.
Weekly market: Thursday and Sunday morning in the market place.